What is the meaning of life? Do we each have a special job to complete before leaving this earth? What is my purpose? Why do I exist? Can one person really make a difference?
A year ago I was in a very frightening situation. What started out as an innocent trip into town for McDonalds ended as a dive into the ditch. The vehicle I was in crossed 2 lanes, went into the ditch in the middle of the divided highway, up onto the road with the oncoming traffic and into the next ditch. As I was sitting there in the back seat my thoughts were “Oh man this is it, this is my final moments on earth” I saw the lights of a Semi very close to the car on the side I was sitting on so I closed my eyes and prayed. The next few moments felt like forever until finally we were sitting safely in the ditch unharmed without a scratch. It only took a few minutes for some students passing by to stop and take us all home.
Then in March looking for a wedding dress for my sister I had an extreme allergy to something I ate and ending up in the hospital in emergency for a few hours. (Symptons included; Hives, closed throat, explosive gastrointestinal upset, cramping and trouble breathing. The whole nine yards)
Again, several months later I was driving my brother to his soccer provincials and got lost in the city made a bad judgment call for a left hand turn and was involved in a three car collision. The car hit the front end of the passenger side of my car which caused my car to spin around. The sound of two cars crashing together car parts breaking and falling, having no control of the car, gripping the steering with everything within you is a terrifying thing. Fortunately there were no injuries and everyone was able to walk away from the accident. My poor car will never be able to enjoy the open road with me again, the damage was beyond what I could pay for. (On my new car I did the smart thing and put collision on it)
Last night I had another food allergic reaction. I’m not sure what affected me last night all I had to eat that evening was pizza and a chocolate my sister gave me. What I find interesting though is that when she gave me the chocolate I told her that I wasn’t “fond of the ball in the middle” so I wonder if there’s some sort of nut in there or something. I should research that today. Similar symptoms from "dress shopping" attacked me although not as strongly this time. My face was red and swollen and since I was having troubles breathing I pulled my hoodie off so that nothing was touching my skin to find hives down my neck and chest and on my upper arm and back. I didn’t need to use my epipen since I live a minute and a half away from the hospital. Before we went to the hospital though my sister came down to my room and asked if I wanted to die alone in my room or did I want to go to the hospital, you can always count on her to crack a joke at any situation. Once at the hospital we had to ring the bell twice before getting service. (This is the second time in this hospital that I've had to wait for someone to come to the emergency desk, so if you’re dieing good luck)
The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose. How do we do that? I suppose by listening to God and having obedience to do whatever he tells us. Now by saying that does that mean I have been disobedient for these things to happen to me? I really don’t think so, but if in some way I have been wrong I pray that it will be clear to me and I can fix it. I also believe that God’s plan is for us to do stuff that we LOVE doing. We aren’t to go and find that one thing we despise doing and then doing it to show our obedience to Him. If that was His will then we’d have a world full of miserable people doing things they don’t enjoy or aren’t good at. God created our hearts to desire what He wants us to do.
“The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren says that we weren’t created for just one purpose but for five special reasons that are explained in God’s Word.
So what is the reason for existence? I guess I will read "The Purpose Driven Life" and let you know.
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment